The Bicycle Thread

Old, new, used-to-haves, want-to haves, etc. Put it here.

Somebody mentioned Schwinn Predator...I had one of these when Reagan was in office. I seem to recall the white tires lasting about a week before getting some Tiogas. The mags got replaced with purple Peregrines after awhile. Skyway EZ bars, original GT clamp on/fold down round pegs on the forks, 21,683 sets of brake pads (none of them worked), even briefly had a set of those brake levers with the push button to 'lock' them closed. I put a lot of miles on that bike and made a lot of laps around Lake Royal. Dig the white and black chain in the picture. That didn't last long. And note where the rear brake is. I think mine was actually on the bottom of the top triangle tube instead of the chain stay. The cable ran through the top tube. I think.

Always wanted a Kodak Yellow Redline RL20 or a Haro Master (or Sport). Or a PK Ripper. Or a Quadrangle. Or a Skyway. Or a Trick Star. I will own them, someday, if I ever have mad sneaker habit money. Never liked the GT Pro Performer for some unknown reason.

View attachment 1248355
That’s sweet. I had the predator free form TC with the rotor, fold up front pegs(fork standers) and mag wheels with a white chain. I was pretty sure I was gonna be invited to be in the movie Rad and ride Helltrack after I got that bike!

uzj100

Did the bike race thing last night. Did ok, the chain came off twice in 6 laps. Never had that ever happen while riding trails. I was mid pack until the chain popped off. Taking it in to see what the issue is. The next race is 6/6.

I was in CAT3. The CAT2 and CAT1 were whole different level. The CAT1 people basically sprinted the track for 20 minutes and 3 wide racing to the finish line. Like they were on dirt bikes.

Not technical at all. One small 2 log up hill and one 3 log downhill that you could jump (bunny hop down) and not touch. This was all cardio.

I'm planning to ride tomorrow morning but will likely be a game-time decision. I stepped on a bee this morning and my foot is throbbing; hoping it subsides enough by morning. Most likely 286 in the 7ish/7:30ish start timeframe but considering new light as well.

uzj100

@Pick I usually ride from my house out to 286 however if are going to be there at 7:30, I will throw my bike in my truck and meet you there at 7/7:30.

lumbee1

Native American
I'm trying to get back into riding on a regular cadence, and I haven't been on 286 and RR in years. I've heard to stay away from RR due to quarry construction, heavy equipment, and trail cameras protecting their investment. The 286 side is safe (for now). I rode Crabtree last Friday but due to the heat and back cramps I only put in a 5 or 6 miles.

lt1fire

I may start biking to work soon... got to look through this thread. Our new prospective office is 10 miles up the interurban trail from the entrance near my house.

First order or business... tune up my bike that I haven't been on in almost 12 years

lumbee1

Native American
I may start biking to work soon... got to look through this thread. Our new prospective office is 10 miles up the interurban trail from the entrance near my house.

First order or business... tune up my bike that I haven't been on in almost 12 years
If most of the parts are good, ride it like it is. If you decide to upgrade anything on the bike, consider a new one first. It's easy to try and restore a bike but good replacement parts cost a lot. I bought a cheap bike to restore and now have double or more invested in the bike than what it originally cost. Handlebars, cranks, brakes, stem, saddle, seatpost, etc all add up quickly.

lt1fire

If most of the parts are good, ride it like it is. If you decide to upgrade anything on the bike, consider a new one first. It's easy to try and restore a bike but good replacement parts cost a lot. I bought a cheap bike to restore and now have double or more invested in the bike than what it originally cost. Handlebars, cranks, brakes, stem, saddle, seatpost, etc all add up quickly.
sorry should have clarified by tune up I meant make sure everything is in working order. Not really looking to upgrade anything.

I do know both my tires are flat so that's the start. Never rode it much because despite being the biggest frame I could find at the time it is still a tad bit too small for me and my back will start to hurt riding it for too long. Hopefully I can just pull through that because i'm not going to be going a custom built frame route.

sorry should have clarified by tune up I meant make sure everything is in working order. Not really looking to upgrade anything.

I do know both my tires are flat so that's the start. Never rode it much because despite being the biggest frame I could find at the time it is still a tad bit too small for me and my back will start to hurt riding it for too long. Hopefully I can just pull through that because i'm not going to be going a custom built frame route.
If you're looking for a bigger bike and don't want the expense of custom, check out the KHS BNT. I've seen this in person (I'm 6' 3" and it was too big to ride) but is a solid bike at a pretty reasonable price.

uzj100

Different stem and bars could get you sitting upright too.

uzj100

I'm trying to get back into riding on a regular cadence, and I haven't been on 286 and RR in years. I've heard to stay away from RR due to quarry construction, heavy equipment, and trail cameras protecting their investment. The 286 side is safe (for now). I rode Crabtree last Friday but due to the heat and back cramps I only put in a 5 or 6 miles.
286 is said to be 14 miles now. I always get turned around. Did about 9 last Saturday. The good thing is there are no hard climbs at all and mostly flowy. The creek crossings are the best. There are like 4 or 5.

Nice Fleet!! I have 4 as well but yours are definitely more gravity-oriented than mine. I try not to get more than a few inches off the ground, lest I kill myself :rofl:

They are all sick but I'm really digging the Trail Pistol & Ranger

Top Bottom