Servicing Pinion

Oh right I forgot about your 61. You can borrow my tool also if you want to use it as a guide to make your own.

If your axle seal has failed and been leaking gear oil into the hubs the bearings are probably perfect.

My 61 has the newer style.

I have the full kit to do it, but just haven't gotten around to it. It's on the list for the next block of time off.

Gotta give the old bitch some love before it gets jealous of the green thing and pitches a fit. The trouble with two cruisers. 40 year old lumps of iron throwing girlish tantrums.

With Lachlan's driveshafts, I seem to remember samurai's using spacers a lot. It's definitely not the best solution, it adds a lever to your pinion basically. Certainly won't increase it's life expectancy.

You can get an extra inch cheaply by using half of a minitruck slip yoke. If you have the round flanges it's easy to redrill for the different bolt pattern.
Know if it's solid sleeve or crush sleeve?

You don’t have a locker? What ratio are you running in your diffs you might be able to find one 3.70 for around 100$ 4.11 more like 200$ Or more. If it came out of a front end it probably wouldn’t need a rebuild yet. Much cheeper and easier.

You probably needed the spacer due to the large lift you have. I would try to get rid of the spacer even if it means retubing the drive shaft.

Another thing with large lift springs or spring over lifts is the pinion flange might not parallel the tcase flange anymore. That would also cause vibration, premature rear u joint and pinion bearing failure. (Didn’t you just have to redo your rear u joint?) If that is the problem it can be fixed with some 20$ castor correction wedges. I happen to have some 4 degree ones I’m not using.
52DD7053-39E5-4089-B4DD-646675667191.jpeg

Last edited:
You don’t have a locker? What ratio are you running in your diffs you might be able to find one 3.70 for around 100$ 4.11 more like 200$ Or more. If it came out of a front end it probably wouldn’t need a rebuild yet. Much cheeper and easier.

You probably needed the spacer due to the large lift you have. I would try to get rid of the spacer even if it means retubing the drive shaft.

Another thing with large lift springs or spring over lifts is the pinion flange might not parallel the tcase flange anymore. That would also cause vibration, premature rear u joint and pinion bearing failure. (Didn’t you just have to redo your rear u joint?) If that is the problem it can be fixed with some 20$ castor correction wedges. I happen to have some 4 degree ones I’m not using.
View attachment 2037509
Ya every couple years I wear out a ujoint
I have parallel angles though and almost no vibration even at full highway speeds

removing the stake nut...what is the best way to go about this now that the entire third member is removed?

Putting said flatbar into diff to lock the various bits and pieces from moving around also can work.

Depending on your tolerance for that sort of thing.

So when I get the parts who wants to lend a guy a hand putting it all back together. I don't have a good work space or proper tools to do the job.

Currently working on my lawn with a couple sawhorses and plywood....

Ryan's suggestion of a snout swap is a good idea. I did it.

A couple V blocks, dial gauge and a mig welder will be useful. I gave all my spare bits to Ryan so I'm sure he can help you out.

I'd pop by for the trip down memory lane and offer useless ridicule. (If I don't blow the date this time)

Ryan's suggestion of a snout swap is a good idea. I did it.

A couple V blocks, dial gauge and a mig welder will be useful. I gave all my spare bits to Ryan so I'm sure he can help you out.

I'd pop by for the trip down memory lane and offer useless ridicule. (If I don't blow the date this time)

Not screwing with the driveshaft yet, just what this diff back together. I don't have the right tools to reassemble or the space and whatnot

Top Bottom