It's kinda quiet around here

Irish Reiver

SILVER Star
I could be up for a trip to Ocala at that time. I have been toying with doing a run from the keys up to Niagra just so I can add a South-North trip to my East Coast-West Coast trip which I did in Jun/July but would like to do that in late October.

Yeah, same here...this will be the second year ill be missing it. I think its too close to TG. Can it be rescheduled to earlier?

Got in a solid days work on the sliders yesterday. I'm beat. Got one side done. Not having a helper makes work slow (so its a good thing the wife has one brewing up for me!)

Changed up the design a little to be a welded on bolt plate and nut flange. From the left - frame reinforcement, spacer plate, bolt plate, slider flange.

Assembling nut plates to weld the bolts in place.

spacer and reinforcement. The hole saw i bought to just cut cirles around the bolts wasn't cutting it so i just notched the space...

The Miller 141 my wife bought me for my birthday makes this job easy, as long as i do my part and clean the metal before welding.

I was surprised to find workable steel on the frame (with factory hard coat still on it) under all the rush and crud. Welds here look boggery due to the wind that was screwing with the shielding gas. I may pick up some flux core for when I'm working outside...

Had to add a little grounding tab to the frame that I'll cut off later. Sliders came right off over the bolts. One or two may have to be shortened to eliminate interference. But I think the 12 grade 8s and the large reinforcement plates should do the trick nicely. Just need to do some cleanup and repaint the whole area and it'll be good to go!

Obligatory new dad announcement. I couldn't be more excited!!

cruisermatt

Florida Man
SILVER Star
Congrats on the baby!

I think all those bolts in the sliders mounts are going to bend or shear and it’s going to be a big mess. If you’re willing to weld to the frame just weld the slider legs to the frame.
Unless you just want them for looks which in that case carry one, but the way you’re going about that is very labor intensive for poor result.

Its not meant to be a rock crawler. Just a simple family adventure rig. Sliders will likely only ever be used as steps by the wife and kids...

Anyway to do TT next year in Osceola National Forest? Its really nice there. Or Ocala National Forest? I think those are more family friendly environment. Cayaking, trails, rivers, springs. Cleaner too. ;)

Havent been to Osceola in years but i rememer the forest trails were really beautiful surrouned by trees. Long stretches of water crossings too, but good compact bottom.

FL cruiser

The last time I went to Ocala, had a negative experience with rude park rangers. They were anti - off roading. Maybe it's better now?. I do remember the other time I was there many years ago there was a couple of pit areas with lots of climbs and hills. If those places are still open, Ocala would be good.

I have never been to Citrus or Osceola.

Unfortunately most the places with nice camping AND good wheeling are out of state.

The last time I went to Ocala, had a negative experience with rude park rangers. They were anti - off roading. Maybe it's better now?. I do remember the other time I was there many years ago there was a couple of pit areas with lots of climbs and hills. If those places are still open, Ocala would be good.

I have never been to Citrus or Osceola.

Unfortunately most the places with nice camping AND good wheeling are out of state.
Ocala nf has a literal s*** load of forest roads and what not, but straying off the designated roads tends to end badly if you're caught. They also have the off road area to the north end of the park for dirt bikes and all, but it was the typical Florida sand to a large extent. I haven't been up that way in a few years.

Haven't been to citrus (besides the croom motorcycle area). I'd be happy to explore sometime, it's only a couple hours from me, but I don't really ever go out in Florida by myself. Too much chance of finding bottomless mud.

Also would like to hit Osceola sometime but that's a much farther drive from Melbourne.

I think you guys would like Osceola. Almost every trail is in forest. We should do a scouting trip. Used to go all the time and camping in November was always nice. Let me see what I can setup.

Going to be up at Citrus on the 24th if anyone wants to come play around. Not going to go crazy since i'm still on A/S tires and I'll have a pregnant wife with me to keep somewhat comfortable (else feel the wrath...)
We're staying in Inverness on the east side of the WMA.

I actually might be able to get out there for that, it's about a two hour drive from here.

Do you know your way around the trails or is it an exploration trip? Wife and 15 month old would probably come along as well, so also wouldn't be much craziness going on. Always nice to have someone else to pull us out if that easy puddle turns out to be quick sand.

Top Bottom