Canol Road Expedition

Hey everyone.
We have been crazy busy after our CruiseMoab trip so I will update on the weekend.
Potlatch has been up to his ass in work, so hopefully we can attack his diesel swap soon and build the raft to test out the dummy truck.
But I have some interesting info from some sources that I have been in contact with so I'll fill you all in soon!!

Dood, sounds like we need a wing night!! I'm free wednesday to sunday next week... Blew up the main pontoon last week... that thing is retarded big... 18 ton rating stenciled on the side, that's alot of float!!!

Okay we need to start figuring out who is in for this. Plan the days and time for travel too and from the trail. As well as the length of the trail with obstacles or at least approximations.

And for those rigs that will be doing this trail the owners will have to establish fuel consumption for their rig on regular trail running on dry hard pack type trails. As well as how much fuel it will take to basically run through mud and lots of it for possibly days. All this so we can establish how much fuel will be needed plus extra and if need be fuel drop by helicopter.

Agreed. Well I'm in, I need to book my holidays next week so it would be nice if we could hammer some dates down quick!! The trailer is being sandblasted and painted as we speak. I haven't made any progress on the raft as I need to see everyone's truck for mounting points. Anyway glad to see this is still on your mind! I would propose we go in august and should probably schedule 2 weeks.

The big other question is how do we get out of Norman wells? Also do we go in august like mentioned or wait till late fall for partial freeze to help get through some sections?

If we make it that far, I planned on driving back out. You have to be prepared to turn around at any point on the trail anyways. The less desirable option is park your truck (possibly at the Esso facility) and fly home, wait for the freeze and fly back up and take the ice road home. This option sounds incredibly expensive to me....

Still in the works. We have logistics to work out still but it will be a future trip. I'm going to contact the guys who know more and discuss time frame and get an itinerary in place.

Has anyone contacted Rwayout? I haven't been able to get a hold of him....might need to swing by his place one of these days.

Yeah, we definitely need to begin planning.

I called him about a month ago because I figured he died. He answered but is extremely busy with work. I'll be coming to Edmonton in the very near future for a meeting to get some plans laid out.

Well a few of us have been talking a lot about this trip. It is an exclusive run so those interested that aren't already accepted will have to come out on some regular club runs to determine how well everyone gets along with one another and works together in small environments before we just throw everyone into the extremely demanding canol road. It's not just equipment that will be tested on this run, its people too.

We will be running the Mackenzie trail in bc and will be manditory for equipment testing in real world environment prior to the actual canol road (some exceptions may be allowed at the discretion of the canol run drivers). All vehicles and equipment will have to pass a group tech inspection, no one will be given a get out of jail free card for inspection. Dates for the run will be kept in confidence among those attending the trip.

Now that all the serious stuff is out of the way let's make some headway on planning for this. We should all work together on planning what we need to take. Even those who aren't attending can give some insight since we may overlook some obvious things. We will add or take off of the list as the planning goes by.

Equipment

- spare axle shafts
- spare drive shafts (I'm going to get two shafts with cv joints welded to one end leaving the other end open but the tube will be cut to the length of the longest shaft. I will keep the slips ready for weld on in the field so I can just cut the shaft to required length and weld on the slips. I have a spare rear 80 series shaft if anyone needs it.)
- spare electric winch motor and solenoids for your winch or winches.
- at least one full size spare
- hi lift jack
- complete fluids for two complete vehicle services with filters
- if any vehicle is equipped with computers that are vital to basic vehicle operations you must carry one spare of each vital computer.
- tools to pretty much rebuild your entire vehicle (we can come up with a master list and spread the weight of tooling throughout the group. Everyone should have some basic tools.)
- spare engine belts if you run a timing belt bring one of those as well.
- extra hardware misc.
- one full set of wheel studs with nuts per vehicle.
- one chainsaw in good working order
- more to come as we discuss

Communication

- we will pool among the group for rental and use of Sat phone
- VHF/UHF on board radios for each vehicle
- SPOT or equal device for each individual attending including possible passengers

Personal

- basic survival gear (if you don't know what that is and are attending ask)
- we will determine what we have for firearms in the group and verify that the can legally posses firearms. There will be firearms present for protection of the group from potential wildlife threats.
- enough drinking water to last twice the expected trail run time
- food will be one and a half times the expected trail run time.
- proper attire for this trip (if you don't know ask)
- coolers will not last long enough for this trip so you will have to work around that at your own personal preference for food or how to store food requiring refrigeration.

Everyone must be self sufficient on maintaining items for personal survival. We can spread items around the group for vehicle survival. So chime in with your agreements add ons or take offs. This is just a rough list it is not written in stone.

when are you figuring the next meeting for this john? I'm assuming there was lots of discussion on this on the whipsaw trip.

I'm current in advanced first aid and CPR. If something serious happens to somebody, they'll be gettin' a chopper ride. I do agree tho, we should all have some form of first aid.

No operation with a chainsaw? Swap out chain oil for morphine and disinfectant. But yeah we should have the ability to respond and deal with situations because depending on weather conditions a helicopter isn't always just a call away.

Top Bottom