406 Cruiser Heads - Introductions

Hi everyone I'm Mike from Great Falls. I've lived here for little over a year. Military brought me here and it's been great change after living on the east coast. Originally from Northern California where I still have my 88 4runner that I hope to bring up here some day. Currently have a 16 Taco that I absolutely love. I hope to meet up with the group sometime on some runs

IMG_20180905_142353_417.jpg

IMG_20180824_150250_619.jpg

Name's Austin. In great falls, but from Texas. Got a 2008 FJ Cruiser, basically bone stock, but slowly building it to where I would like it to be, and would like to do more wheelin. Nothing crazy because it is my daily, but soonnnnn.
20150619_175647.jpg
20150619_185706.jpg

CuCruiser

SILVER Star
Hello my fellow Montanans.
I've been on Mud now for awhile and I guess I never realized that there was a MT club. I'm not much for posting but have learned a lot here. Special shout out to Paul who came to my rescue when the head on my 84 2F developed a crack. I'm sure I've waved at one or two of you in my travels as not many TLC's get by me without a wave.
Anyway we all like pics so here you go...my FJ60
newshoes.jpg

Anyway I'm a born and bred Montanan and Cruiser head from Arlee. Dad bought a 78 FJ40 off the lot and the family has a lot of memories made with the old cruiser. Here's a picture of pops and his cruiser, both a little older than in '78, but still getting the job done. Ready for plow duty.
oldtimers.jpg

I also have a '69 FJ40 that I bought right after graduating high school. I started tearing it down with grand ideas of a beautiful restoration...but life, my lack of know how and money put a halt to that. I'm glad to have it socked away though, because the day is getting nearer when I'll be able to put it back in action.

So the FJ60 is sort of a mid-life crisis deal, I remember seeing them in the man-a-fre and specter catalogs of old and always admired them. 2015 I was in need of transportation and figured it might be now or never went a bit crazy and bought pretty much the first 60 that seemed right. It's given me some headaches but I've tinkered and fiddled and cursed and I think it runs and handles now as well as it ever did.
IMAG3486.jpg

big pull.jpg

I've really come to a first hand appreciation of how tough and well built these rigs are and most of all simple. I doubt I'll be without one until the robots come for our keys. :skull:

Anyway I've gone on too long here but just wanted to say hi. Have looked at the 406 webpage and will probably join just to support the cause. Won't make too many meetings and not into wheeling per se. Just like getting out there.

One more cause why not?
IMAG4433.jpg

Hi there! I'm Courtney, and my hubs and I have a 2015 Tundra Pro. I used to have a '16 TRD Tacoma but sold it to move back here to MT. We're in Missoula/Lolo. Enjoy getting out with MTO (Montana Toyota Offroad) when we can. Just moved back this summer after 2 years in WA, looking forward to camping again! Looking for more decorator crab things to add to the "Tomato" when we can. :) I'd really like to get into a 40-70 series someday when we have the extra time/money. Nice to meet y'all! Here's a buttshot of the rig.

TundraTomato2.jpg

WELCOME BACK! and awesome rig.
Thank you!! It's good to be back. Less people, more trees! Can't wait to get out of this rental and into a home with a real garage so we can break things again haha. I'd love to recruit more Missoula people but do y'all do a group meet up anytime? Bozeman is kind of a haul for a cup of coffee!

Hello all,
My name is Aaron and my wife and I are recent transplants to the Bozeman area. We came up from TX/OK, and have been enjoying learning the area and getting to know the local Cruiser community.

We started with an imported 1990 HDJ81 from land cruisers direct, and recently added a 1996 FZJ80 that we picked up with ambitions of learning the platform and learning to some wrenches. My short list includes Working with Overland Cruisers to get a new Turbo, brakes, and some rebuilds for the power steering pump and gearbox on the HJ, since the cold is playin' hell on pretty much gasket, seal, or o-ring. On the FJ, we've got the common oilp pump cover gasket leak and the distributor o-ring. I'm workin' up the nerve to tackle those myself, but I'm definitely a "one banana" guy for now.

We've done some cruising with OnTorc in Oklahoma into the Ozarks and a few other more local trails, and we're looking forward to continuing to learn and improve our ability to work both on trail and off.

Cheers, and Happy New year,

Aaron

IMG_2662.png

IMG_2977.jpg

IMG_0837.png

Welcome A.A.Ron

We’re you at the meeting at MAP in November? Nice looking rigs! Hope to see you soon
Thanks for the Welcome, REZARF,

Yep! We were there. I had my wife and kids with me. I'm hoping to be at the January meetup and will be following along to catch what venue.

Aaron

rkymtnflyfisher

I’m going fishing
SILVER Star
Is there an active group in Missoula?

Not that I have noticed, there does seem to be quite a few Cruiser owners in western MT though from the Flathead area all the way down through the Bitterroot. @jtxterra is in Missoula and may know about another 4WD club up there.

I've thought about trying to get some folks together over in the area..........

If I am home, I will try to make some time for a bit of group exploring. I know a good portion of the Flathead National Forest, so would be nice to get to see some other areas in the general area.

Is there an active group in Missoula?
as far as 4x4 clubs go in missoula there are 2
Montana Toyota Offroad the guy to talk to would be kevin he drives a canary yellow fj cruiser. Facebook would be they way to contact them
they seem unorganized to me, more like a group of friends who get together at random. I've talked to a few of them showing interest but like i said they aren't really organized.

the other club is Montana backroads 4x4
very organized group of mostly middle aged and older folks
mixed interests group jeepers and toyota fans
i am a member of this club and could give you some more info if interested we usually meet once a month
montana backroads is also very active with other clubs we meet up with frontier 4 wheelers of helena and skyliners 4x4 of kalispell often

Last edited:
Hello,
My name is Matt (90wt). I met a couple of 406 Cruisers a few months ago at the October (?) meeting. Currently driving an '06 LX470 with minor mods. I got the LX a few years ago, working my way up from a Pathfinder and a 4Runner. I've lived in Bozeman for a while. Now that the kiddos are getting older, I'd like to take them exploring to more remote MT backroads and camping spots. Looking forward to meeting more people interested in camping/wrenching/exploring/enjoying life.

Hey guys,
My name is Steve. Lived in Missoula for four years now. I've always been a Toyota fan and now gotten into cruisers. I've got a 1984 fj60 named Bessie that I'm working on getting back into shape. This forum has been amazing. Plan on getting out to do more exploring with her.
This is when I picked her up last year and brought her home.
Done a bunch since then and still have more to do...

Top Bottom