2 dudes, 2000 miles, 4 aircraft and an FJ45!

Had some time after work today to remove a leaf from each of the rear spring packs to get ready for the rear install

IMG_2213.JPG

Somehow managed to strip the threads on the center bolt getting it out of one of the packs. Not sure how as i wasn't beating on it .. oh well trusty harbor freight tap and die set to the rescue!
IMG_2214.JPG

IMG_2215.JPG

It would appear I now own a set of Old Man Emu skis if anyone needs to borrow them this winter! :p
IMG_2218.JPG

Got the drivers side rear off and about killed myself in the process! Damn these things are heavy!

If any of you fellas want to come over and lend a hand i'll provide the :beer:

Old vs New -- 10 leafs in the old pack! :eek:
IMG_2220.JPG

Do you think these needed replacing?!?
IMG_2221.JPG

@ukaviator what are you doing with the old springs? If you're going to chuck them, I will come pick them up from you.
Im not sure yet. I was thinking about putting them on mud in the classifieds to try and recoup some of this cash I'm bleeding out! LOL
Id be up for a trade too if you have any 40 or 45 parts lying around

jynx

Turd Herder
SILVER Star
I don't need them, just don't want you to throw them away. I got a buddy that does some black-smithing. He makes knives and other trinkets out of them and Japanese spring steel is some of the best around for knives and such. I keep an eye out for stuff he can use.

If you can't get rid of them, let me know, I just wanted to make sure they weren't going to scrap.

Sure thing man I'll let you know ... have no fear I have real trouble throwing anything away cruiser related!

LDowney

Had some time after work today to remove a leaf from each of the rear spring packs to get ready for the rear install

View attachment 1523646

Somehow managed to strip the threads on the center bolt getting it out of one of the packs. Not sure how as i wasn't beating on it .. oh well trusty harbor freight tap and die set to the rescue!
View attachment 1523647

View attachment 1523648

It would appear I now own a set of Old Man Emu skis if anyone needs to borrow them this winter! :p
View attachment 1523649
Amusing switch. I added a leaf to the OME springs I have on the rear of my BJ70. They were the heavy duty models but needed a little more help for how I load my truck.

Also, I have found that keeping old springs around can be handy. The spring on my FJ40 were drooping under load, so I pulled two leafs from old packs that I had. After rebuilding the spring with two leafs added to each pack, the springs don't droop and flex well on the trail.

Good luck and kudos on all the work that you are getting done on your 45.

Getting close to wrapping up this lift. Came across a few obstacles ...

On the passenger rear fixed shackle, the bolt that locates the hangar pin was sheared off some time in the trucks history.

IMG_2225.JPG

IMG_2226.JPG

Spent about 45 minutes trying to drill out the old bolt and re-tap a new hole with my trusty harbor freight tap and die set before I broke down and picked up one of these combo drill and tap bits from Dewalt for $9.
Got to say these drill bits are brilliant. 10 seconds after loading it into my impact I had the hole tapped for a fresh grade 8 bolt.

IMG_2228.JPG

IMG_2229.JPG

Next issue: Somehow i managed to loose a shock cup washer for one of the rear shocks so set about making my own using a 1" socket and a bit of pipe I had laying around. Havent finished it yet but looks like it will do the trick

IMG_2231.JPG

IMG_2232.JPG

Last issue is now i need a longer flexible brake line that goes from the rear axle to the frame.

Headed over to Nashville Rubber and Gasket tomorrow. Spoke with a guy on the phone apparently they can make you a custom length while you wait. Going with a 23" line.

jynx

Turd Herder
SILVER Star
Really?! Hmmm, I need a front and rear line for the 80. Let us know what the damage is as it may be worth going that route instead of ordering from Slee or getting the OEM extended lines...

Really?! Hmmm, I need a front and rear line for the 80. Let us know what the damage is as it may be worth going that route instead of ordering from Slee or getting the OEM extended lines...
Will do. Ive seen the line I need online but the going rate is around $55 plus shipping ... hoping this company can do better.

I was quoted $20-$30 for the custom brake line. Unfortunately they only had the female end, not the male so have ordered me one. Should be ready in a few days.

Spoke with one of the managers there and they will reproduce any brake line (hard or soft) you just have to bring them in what needs to be copied! Could be a great option for those out there that need some hard lines made.

So I rolled the truck outside after finishing everything up ... here are some before and after shots

BEFORE:

FullSizeRender-4.jpg

AFTER:
FullSizeRender-3.jpg

FullSizeRender-2.jpg

IMG_2234.JPG

Went to take it for a test drive and it wouldn't stay running long enough to get it out the driveway ... opened the hood and this little white resistor was smoking

I have another used one that is sitting in a box Im going to switch it out for.

What coil system do you guys recommend?
Again Im not sure what direction I want to take this truck yet so don't want to spend a whole lot of money. TPI recommends their Firecracker ignition, others a DUI unit.
What say you fellas?

IMG_2242.JPG

You can use a 6 cylinder gm hei with a little modification. You have to use the Toyota distributor gear. It's a all in one system. Just have to connect one wire.

Went to take it for a test drive and it wouldn't stay running long enough to get it out the driveway ... opened the hood and this little white resistor was smoking

I have another used one that is sitting in a box Im going to switch it out for.

What coil system do you guys recommend?
Again Im not sure what direction I want to take this truck yet so don't want to spend a whole lot of money. TPI recommends their Firecracker ignition, others a DUI unit.
What say you fellas?
I have a Trollhole electronic dizzy with an Accel coil on my 40. It's been great. It replaced an early small cap vacuum retard unit someone had put on there along the way.

Thanks for the responses guys. I switched it out for the other one I had and no joy. Put the old one back on and now it won't even fire.

@Monty231 thanks for the rec i'll take a look at Trollholes unit

@FJCRAWLER thanks I've never done anything like that before. I'll have a look and see if i can find a "how to" thread

Here's some dizzy information I used before. Also, there is some info on bypassing the ballast resistor, too.

Dizzy FAQ

There are also many good threads in the 40 section on getting the dizzy sorted out.

DSLTOY

Have seen the Chev 6 hei used and works great, needs to come from straight 6, not v motor. As for the gear we have used the Chev gear, its close enough.

Is there a reason you guys like chevy parts over Toyota OEM or is it just cheaper?

Whats your opinions on the DUI or firecracker setup?

Wonder if I could just get away with a new coil for now?

DSLTOY

It's price, you can pick up a Chev hei for $35 at the pick and pull and its availability of spare parts, you can go into about any parts store and get parts.

Top Bottom